Mann &

Accidents, Injuries and Accident Medical Bills

When you are injured in an automobile accident you will incur medical bills. It is important that you understand the possible sources for payment of these accident medical bills. Colorado is a “tort” state. This means that the defendant, even if they were at fault, may not pay for your accident medical bills unless you agree to sign a full and final release of all claims. It would be unwise to sign a full and final release of claims because you are entitled to recover damages well beyond just the medical bills.

Med-Pay Insurance

The first place to look for coverage is “med pay” coverage on the car in which you were driving at the time you were injured. Med pay coverage is usually in the amount of $5,000, $10,000 or $25,000. Med pay coverage is best because it has no deductibles or co-pays and there are no restrictions on the type of treatment you receive or medical provider you choose.

Health Insurance

The second place to look is your own health insurance policy. Often times your policy will have co-pays and deductibles. All out-of-pocket expenses that you incur are recoverable against the other party. Your health insurance has an absolute obligation to cover your medical expenses from an automobile accident.

Medicare and Medicaid

Depending on your age and circumstances, you may be able to obtain coverage from Medicare or Medicaid. These federal and state funded programs often times provide payment for care for injured victims.

Treatment on a Lien

If you have no med pay coverage and you have no health insurance, you may be able to get a doctor to treat you on a lien basis. This means that the healthcare provider agrees to treat you and receive payment for the treatment at the end of the case. While this is not the preferred method of obtaining treatment, it is often the only way people can get the care they need.

Obtaining treatment with health insurance, Medicare, Medicaid or on a lien means that you will be asked to re-pay for the cost of your treatment out of your settlement money. This is called subrogation.

Stuart Mann is an expert at dealing with subrogation to maximize your recovery. Stuart Mann will not allow your settlement monies to be eaten up completely by health insurance companies and government agencies. It requires a specific knowledge of the law to negotiate these subrogation interests.

Contact Us For a Free Initial Consultation

In almost all the types of cases that we handle, contingent-fee representation is available. This means that we only get paid if and when you do. There is absolutely no cost or obligation to you for an initial consultation; we are here to help you.

Call our office at 303-991-2233 or use our online contact form to get in touch with us today.